A 110-year-old woman has been discharged after undergoing treatment for COVID-19 at a hospital in Chitradurga, Karnataka. Siddamma had tested positive for coronavirus on July 27 along with a few other family members and was then admitted in a COVID designated government hospital where she had since been undergoing treatment and has now shown complete recovery. 

Upon defeating the virus, she walked out of the hospital with the support of the staff, while also being greeted and wished by a team of doctors and the paramedical staff. When queried about whether she feared about testing positive, Siddamma was quoted as saying, "I am not afraid of anyone." Hospital authorities have said she was happy with the treatment she was receiving and the food given to her. Health officials issued a statement saying Siddamma resided in the police quarters and has five children, 17 grandchildren and 22 great-grandchildren. 

Speaking to the media, District Surgeon Basavaraju stated Siddamma’s recovery brought the hospital staff great pride since she is the oldest woman to have been discharged from the hospital after testing positive for COVID-19. He said, "So far as I know, it is a record in itself that a 110-year-old woman has recovered from coronavirus. She is the mother of a policeman who lives in the police quarters,".

In addition, Mr Basavaraju stated that a 96-year-old woman had also gotten discharged from the hospital after making a recovery from the novel coronavirus. He said Siddamma's recovery has left the morale of the hospital staff in high spirits with the medical team now determined to work more enthusiastically.

It is to be noted that Karnataka is the fifth worst-affected state in the country due to the coronavirus with 1,34,819 positive cases to date. As per the Ministry of Health and Welfare, the state has 74,590 active cases with 57,725 getting discharged after making a recovery and 2,496 people succumbing to the disease. 

Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa had also tested positive for COVID-19 on Sunday. He tweeted, "I have tested positive for coronavirus. Whilst I am fine, I am being hospitalised as a precaution on the recommendation of doctors. I request those who have come in contact with me recently to be observant and exercise self quarantine."