Tamil cinema has many actors who are revered by the fan base that they have. We have followed them on their journey from their very humble beginnings to the big and mighty stars they are now. Over the course of their career in Tamil cinema, they have acted in film with English titles as well. This is something that stands out from their other films due to the unique choice of being titled in another language. So let us look at some actors and the films they have acted in which has an English title (not including numerical titles).
1) INDIAN: This film is titled so since Senapathy was an Indian freedom fighter and a member of the Indian National Army led by Subhas Chandra Bose. He got the moniker Indian as he delivers justice to the people who indulge in corruption.
1) BEAST: The film was named so because as we hear it in the film, Veeraraghavan is a beast. This is apt for him since he is an ex-RAW agent who stops at nothing to save the people who are held hostage in a mall.
2) MASTER: The film was titled so since Vijay plays the role of a teacher in the film who everyone refers to as Master in a form of respect.
3) FRIENDS: Since the film revolves around the life of a trio of friends, the film was titled rightfully so. Their friendship they have and hardships they face forms the crux of the story.
1) CITIZEN: The title of the film is as such because Abdullah kidnaps corrupt government officials who were responsible for the destruction of his village Attipatti after introducing himself as Citizen. Being a citizen from there and enraged by their actions, he takes matter into his own hands.
2) RED: The film was titled so to honor the titular character. Another reason is because the film follows Adhi, an orphan-gangster who is well known with his alias name RED (Revolution, Education, and Development) all over Madurai, who possesses a heart of gold, and when not bashing up mercenaries, he spends his time forcing schools to accept students without donations and taking care of orphans.
3) VILLAIN: Since Ajith plays the role of a kind of anti-villain in the film by stealing from the rich and giving to the poor, the film derived its name from there.
1) FRIENDS: The who plot of the film is about a trio of friends and the friendship and hardships they face along the way. Therefore the film was named so.
1) KING: Since Vikram plays the character of Raja, which translates to King in English, the film was named so.
2) DAVID: The film follows the life of 3 individuals who are all named David. That is exactly where the title of the film comes from.
3) SKETCH: Vikram plays the role of Jeeva who is also known as Sketch. He tows and bring back vehicles for which the monthly EMI had not been paid. Sketch in Tamil is a slang word meaning 'to plan something' and since he plans out how he is going to carry out his job and literally everything else, the film has been titled so.
4) COBRA: The film has been titled as such since Vikram plays the role of a person who can slither away to safety as well as someone who can attack very unexpectedly - just like a cobra.
1) THE GRAY MAN: The film being a Hollywood movie all by itself gives us the reason why it has an English title.
1) MARINA: Since the Majority of the film takes place at the Marina Beach in Chennai, it deserves the title it holds. Marina itself means a small area of water (a harbour) designed for pleasure boats, which is exactly the environment that is shown in the film.
2) MR.LOCAL: The film begins in a jail in Paris, where Mano, who is from Chennai, has just been released on bail provided by the Indian Embassy. This is where the title of the film is derived as the 'Mr' refers to the international way of addressing men while the 'Local' refers to him being a localite in Chennai.
3) HERO: The film sees Sakthi, a young boy who dreams of becoming a superhero, like Shaktimaan. The title of the film is apt because over the course of the film, he finally becomes one.
4) DOCTOR: The film is titled so since Varun is a military doctor.
5) DON: Since Chakaravarthi is called Don in his college and is also someone who takes over the college with his immense popularity, the film has been named as such.
1) PIZZA: In the film, he plays the role of a pizza delivery man. This is where the title of the film comes from.
2) SUPER DELUXE: The film revolves around four groups of individuals who find themselves in the most unexpected predicaments, each poised to experience their destiny, all on one fateful day. Super deluxe itself means something extremely elaborate. This elaborate sequence of events is where the film's title comes from.
3) MASTER: The film has been titled as such since it follows the story of a master. Bhavani must stop the master from ruining his evil plan.
4) BENCH TALKIES: The film is a collection of six short films directed by six different directors, which will make you travel through different genres, emotions and experiences. It has been named so since it is the coming together of 6 directors who join hands to make one feature length film.
1) ROCKETRY: THE NAMBI EFFECT: The film follows the life of Nambi Narayanan, and former ISRO scientist who was wrongfully imprisoned for espionage. We go along with him on his journey to make a rocket for his nation and the effects that followed it. Therefore the film had been named as such.
1) NEW: The film had been named so since the protagonist, who begins as a young boy, gets a whole new experience once he takes a pill that turns into a full grown mad. Possessing the physicality of a man but the mentality of a child, it is new for even those around him to see and accept his behavior.
2) MONSTER: The film follows how a rat creates havoc in Anjanam's house but while he tries to get rid of the rodent, a criminal breaks into his home to find his missing diamonds. The title refers to both the rat as well as the thief which is why the title of the film was given.
3) DON: Since a guy named Don in the college has the college in his grasp and full control, the film has been rightfully named so. SJ Suryah as college's discipline mentor tries to keep Don in check.
G V PRAKASH KUMAR:
1) DARLING: When the Kathir is almost at the brink of committing suicide, he is saved by a girl because of the love she has for him. Hence we can assume that he is her darling in one way or another and that is where the title of the film comes from.
2) PENCIL: The film takes place in a school and a pencil is one of the most common things one can find in a school which led to the film being titled that way.
3) WATCHMAN: Bala is a watchman in the film and that is why the film has been titled so.
4) BACHELOR: The film has been titled so since throughout the entire film, Darling remains a bachelor.
5) JAIL: The film's titles play over visuals of the place with a voice-over telling us how the whole process of replacement is wrong. From comparing the people to birds who have been caged and the place to a jail, the film has been aptly titled as such.
1) DAVID: The film follows the life of 3 individuals who are all named David. That is exactly where the title of the film comes from.
2) GORILLA: 3 friends join hands in order to rob a bank with a chimpanzee as their accomplice. Since there is a chimp in a film and 3 adults who symbolize a gorilla, the film has been titled so.
3) GYPSY: The film has been titled after the titular character who himself is a wanderer.
1) ROMEO JULIET: The title is derived after to two lovebirds around which the story revolves around.
1) BOYS: The film is titled after the lives of 5 boys around whom the film takes place.
1) ENEMY: Former childhood friends enter into an intense rivalry fuelled by their escalating competitive nature and turn into enemies. This is where the title of the film comes from.
1) TEDDY: When a young woman is put in a coma by corrupt doctors, her spirit enters a teddy bear and seeks out a lonely man named to uncover their medical crimes. This is where the title of the film is derived.
2) ENEMY: Former childhood friends enter into an intense rivalry fuelled by their escalating competitive nature and turn into enemies. This is where the title of the film comes from.
3) CAPTAIN: The film is titled so since it tells the story of a military captain who is tasked with fighting aliens.
1) BALLOON: This horror comedy is perfectly titled since the film features strange things happening from time to time and when it does happen, a balloon is always present.
1) JEANS: The title Jeans was selected due to being a homophone of 'gene' which seemed appropriate to the film since its follows the antics of a pair of identical twins