"More than 5,000 beds available in government hospitals in Chennai alone": Minister Vijayabaskar
By Vivek Raj | Galatta | Jun 08, 2020, 02:28 pm
Tamil Nadu Minister for Health and Family Welfare C Vijayabaskar, along with other ministers, addressed the media on Monday and said there is no shortage of beds and other facilities in any of the government hospitals in the state. The minister has refuted the charges levelled against the government by popular television actor Varadharajan, who claimed there is a shortage of beds in the hospitals in Chennai city. Mr. Vijayabaskar confirmed there are more than 5,000 beds currently available in government hospitals in Chennai city alone. He went on to add saying stringent actions will be initiated against those who spread misinformation. It has also been urged that nobody should spread rumors regarding the government's intense efforts in preventing the novel coronavirus.
Minister Vijayabaskar stated it is worthy of commendation that all employees, who have been allotted important assignments, are contributing to their functions with utmost care and diligence. The government has also said that the health department has decided to integrate 70 private hospitals to carry out its functions. "It will be a factor of engagement to the government if people don't criticize our efforts when we are concentrating our soul and steel in winning over this deadly virus,", the minister said. He further added saying 6 persons have been put on ventilators today.
Minister for Fisheries and Personnel and Administrative Reforms D. Jayakumar said that only 16 percent of the streets in Chennai are found to have been infected by the coronavirus and the remaining 84 percent streets in the city are not affected. Furthermore, the government has announced that the Minister for Tamil Official Language and Tamil Culture Pandiarajan has been included in the panel consisting of five members, which has been entrusted with the task of monitoring the measures initiated to control the spread of COVID-19 in the state.