Tensions were high on Wednesday morning in Agra, Uttar Pradesh, after a private bus carrying 34 passengers en route to Madhya Pradesh from Gurgaon was "hijacked" by men, who identified themselves as "finance company agents".

One among the four accused who stopped the bus took off with all the passengers after telling the two conductors including the driver of the bus to deboard. The bus was later seen in Jhansi hours later, around 250 km away from Agra, with all passengers rescued, a senior police official said in a statement. The police also stated that no passengers were harmed or injured during the ordeal. 

No individual has been arrested as yet despite a kidnapping case being registered, with multiple teams launched to nab the accused. Police officials relayed information at the borders of the neighbouring districts with Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath issuing directions for the safe return of the passengers. 

Speaking to media persons, Babloo Kumar, SSP Agra, said, "We were approached by the driver and conductor of a private bus service on Wednesday morning that their bus had been seized by finance company agents. The bus was due to reach Panna in MP today morning. However, around 4 am they were overtaken by a car and the bus was halted near New Dakshin crossing on the highway in Agra." He added, "The accused announced that they were seizing the bus because dues had not been paid. The driver and conductor were let off while one accused drove the bus away with the passengers. We are in touch with the passengers after they were found safely in Jhansi".

The four accused had stopped in front of the bus after tailing it in a Mahindra Xylo car as it crossed the Agra border on Tuesday night, the police said. The Xylo overtook the bus and halted the vehicle near the Malpura area on early Wednesday morning. The driver was then told by one of the accused that they represented a Gwalior-based private finance company and were given orders to "seize" the bus. The driver and the two conductors were taken in a separate vehicle while one accused drove the bus with the 34 passengers on board.

The bus staff told the police that the accused had given them Rs 200 for food before dropping them off. The police state the accused informed the staff that the bus owner was in debt and passed away recently. The conductor in his statement to the police said one of the accused was well-versed in regard to the finances and account details of the travel agency.