CBSE syllabus reduced by 30 percent for Classes 9 to 12 amid COVID-19
By Vivek Raj | Galatta | Jul 07, 2020, 05:04 pm
The government on Tuesday announced that syllabus will be reduced by up to 30 percent for Classes 9 to 12 coming under the CBSE in view of the "extraordinary situation" India and the rest of the world are currently wrapped up with due to the coronavirus pandemic. It is said that the core concepts will be retained in the syllabus while the courses will be rationalized to bring down the load of the subjects.
The Ministry of Human Resource Development offered suggestions to the national educational board, the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), regarding the revision and reduction of the syllabus on account of the subject load for senior students. "Looking at the extraordinary situation prevailing in the country and the world, CBSE was advised to revise the curriculum and reduce course load for the students of Class 9th to 12th," Union Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal tweeted. His next tweet read, "Considering the importance of learning achievement, it has been decided to rationalize syllabus up to 30% by retaining the core concepts,".
To aid the decision, a few weeks back I also invited suggestions from all educationists on the reduction of #SyllabusForStudents2020 and I am glad to share that we received more than 1.5K suggestions. Thank you, everyone, for the overwhelming response.@PIB_India@MIB_India— Dr. Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank (@DrRPNishank) July 7, 2020
The reduction of the syllabus due to the loss of classroom teaching, the CBSE said, was as a result of the worldwide health emergency and the subsequent efforts to stop the spread of the COVID-19 outbreak. CBSE issued a statement in this regard saying, "Therefore, the Board has decided to revise the syllabi for classes IX-XII for the academic session 2020-21. The changes made in the syllabi have been finalised by the respective Course Committees with the approval of the Curriculum Committee and Governing Body of the Board,".
It is to be noted that Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia had last month recommended a 30 percent reduction in the syllabus for students of all classes and grades. Universities and schools across India have been in a shutdown mode since March 16; only a few days before the nationwide lockdown was announced in order to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus. A majority of the schools around the country have in the meantime since then been conducting online classes in order to keep a track of the syllabus.